Pullet or Roo????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jayharris, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jayharris

jayharris New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    I am new to the chicken world and got two baby chicks because I would like fresh eggs. I was/am hoping that I got 2 hens but have no idea. I believe I have a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock but am not even sure of that. Any help on what sex and breed would be awsome. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PsychoChickens

PsychoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Mid Missouri
    If the black one is a barred rock the white spot on the back of it's head shows it to be female, thou it could be a male black sex link also.
    With the RIRs you'll have to wait and see.

Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans - Males have wider white barring. They will often appear more silvery-grey than black. The males usually have a much larger, splotchier headspot.

Rhode Island Reds - By 5 weeks males have larger and thicker legs and a larger (pinkening) comb and wattle area.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say you have a Barred Rock and maybe a production red?

4. jayharris

jayharris New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    How would I tell the difference between a barred rock and a male black sex link chick???

5. PsychoChickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Mid Missouri
    Waiting until they start to feather, the barred rocks will have black and white stripes and the BSL will stay black.
    The black sex links the males have the lil white spot on the back of it's head, where the barred rocks the females have said spot.
    I'd call the store and ask if they sell the BR or the BSL. The BSL are more common for high production. the BSL are also called Black Star chickens in case you didn't know.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree with above. Hard to tell whether you've got a Barred Rock pullet or Black Sex Link male, at this point. You'll know soon enough. At 5 weeks, the BSL male will sprout a pink comb and tiny red wattles. If the black chick maintains a yellow comb and sprouts no wattles, by 5 weeks, you've likely got a pullet.

The red bird is hatchery quality and likely a production red of some kind. If a pullet, she would be a great layer.

1 person likes this.
  7. PsychoChickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Mid Missouri
  8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The red is a RIR, here is my girl as a chick.
    [​IMG]

The barred rock looks female too, but you'll know for sure in a couple weeks when they feather in. I ended up with a cuckoo maran boy, which is the same concept for the barred rock with different leg color.

These two came from the same order. I switched them out due to possibly having a white brahma boy. I could not keep two boys.

Boy
    [​IMG]

Girl
    [​IMG]

They both have the spots on their heads.

I say both yours are pullets.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  9. jayharris

jayharris New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Thank you so much. Your pictures helped me a lot!!

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My RIR lays very nice eggs! I get an egg a day from her. Next round I'll have a barred rock. Both your chicks should be very friendly if you handle them frequently and give treats. I have 8 full grown lap hens. I'm 100% positive you have 2 girls.

Here she is on the right.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by