Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Secretlyspotted, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    And what breed?

[​IMG]

LOL- I know s/he is a Silkie! S/he's name is Unicorn (lovingly named by my 3.5 yr old daughter). We purchased Unicorn about a month ago. The breeder was very up front about not being good about telling the sex of the Silkies, but she looked for a long time and called this one "probably a pullet." Then when we got home Unicorn promptly chased our cat out of the chicken yard! Since then we've been calling it a "he."
    Unicorn should be about 16 weeks old, give or take a bit. I haven't heard any crowing, but little Uni is at the bottom of the pecking order. So far Uni is sweet, so if he is a he and he stays sweet he can stay. If not- chop chop. I won't have my kids terrorized by a tiny dinosaur in their own yard. (My hubby has terrible memories of a mean roo tormenting him as a child.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea if our little Unicorn has a little horn of his own? Or can I look forward to eating tiny little Silkie eggs one day?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    At the moment it looks like a pullet

3. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Looks like a pullet. I have a few silkies and have been lucky enough to get all pullets and this one looks like a pullet to me.

4. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Yay! I have been looking for whatever "streamers" are but I couldn't tell. Hopefully Unicorn remains testosterone free!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with the others--Unicorn looks like a pretty little pullet.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me! The crest is rounded and puffy, whereas a male's crest would be smaller and more slicked back. If Unicorn was a male, you would probably also notice "streamers" which are longer, pointy feathers in the crest.

7. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Yay Yay Yay! That means we have six chickens- all girls! No chop chop drama for us this year! We will start with new chicks in Feb, hopefully that pullet order will work out too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by