Pullet or roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fancypants1, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chirping

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I have a 12 week old Egyptian Fayoumi pullet and I think I hear it trying to crow this morning. Could I have a roo?

I had to isolate her from the rest of the group since she pecked the feathers off 2 of my polish girls this week. Are they known to be an aggressive breed?

[​IMG]

Any advice on how to stop the bullying would be helpful.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If she is 12 weeks old, would vote a pullet. They usually are not aggressive with other birds in my experience, they are really reactive and flighty. Unfortunately Polish are often a problem in mixed flocks with getting their crests plucked, especially if they are kept in a coop/run rather than in a more free range situation.... they very often do need to be kept separate from other breeds. You might try putting Pinless Peepers on the feather pluckers, but even if the EF was doing the plucking now, I would not be surprised if other of your birds start doing it also. .

3. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chirping

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Thanks, I hope the others leave them alone. Since the EF was locked up today none of the others have pecked the polish. We have 3 polish, barred rock, buff Orpington, buff brahma and the EF. The polish are so sweet. I wish we could free range but with the dogs and other animals in the neighborhood I am limited to a 10 foot run and coop. How long do you think the EF should be isolated? Days, weeks or months? It's kinda of a pain with one on the other side of the yard and in a baby pen LOL[​IMG]

Do they painless peepers hurt them? Does it hinder them much with feeding and drinking? We have a home made feeder using a PVC pipe and cat litter tub and horizontal nipple water pail.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by