Pullet or Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WilczenskiFarm, Aug 5, 2009.

1. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Songster

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Just about 8 weeks old, no additional noise (yet), but it's neck extends WAY more than what's in the pictures. We're newbies at this and we were reading about "saddle feathers" but I can't quite get what people are pointing out as saddle feathers... let us know what you think:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and the tail is quite a bit longer than the rest of the girls....hmmmmmmm.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    you are in good luck, its a girl.....I´ll post pics of saddle feathers soon ok

3. kezabel

kezabel Songster

yep looks like a girl. the saddle feather are at the base of their tails they go shiny as the rooster gets older and they are usually pointy feathers too.

4. jqs birds

jqs birds Songster

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Saddle feathers are the long feathers roosters get at the base of the tail. they hang down and add to his roosterish appearance for the ladies. Look at some rooster pics on the feathersite and you will notice them.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Songster

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Pullet

6. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Songster

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    You guys are the bomb!!!! Thanks for all the feedback... she was the only one we were questioning so far.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    check this AWESOME blue rooster, its from my friend henk69
    check the pointy feathers on the back and on its neck? the pointy and shiny feathers on the back are call saddle feathers, and the one in the neck are call hackle feathers..

[​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    pullet.

9. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Songster

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    What a great looking roo! Thanks for such a good example... we went to feathersite.com too and now it's pretty clear. We'll be on the look out - but I think we're in the clear with all 8 of them...what luck:)!
    Thanks again!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: