1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chixlittel, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Chixlittel

Chixlittel Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I'm new to all this. I'm trying to figure out if my chickens are girls or boys. I ordered 6 buff orpingtons and 6 Rhode Island reds from Meyers hatchery. I know the sexing is not 100% accurate. They are 10 weeks old. 5 out of 6 of my RIR look like they are Roos. 2 out of my 5 buffs also look like they may be Roos. I've been reading on here about how to tell. Some have large combs, and weird tails. The RIR feathers almost look silky and shiny. They are also starting to "dance" with there hackles raised. I don't hear crowing, but they make an awful noise that maybe the beginnings? I'm so upset about it all. I just don't know how to officially tell. Can they really be that off with the sexing? I mean, come on, I have 11 chicks. You would think, maybe one, maybe two, but almost all of them? I've read, about saddle feathers. Not sure I understand what that means. At what age will I know definiantly?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    If you could post pictures then may get the answer?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you post photos, we'll be happy to help you determine gender! [​IMG]

In general, by 16-18 weeks, you should be pretty sure. Roosters will develop pointy neck feathers and saddle feathers ( long feathers near the tail). Those "awful noises" may be the beginnings of crowing- roosters sound pretty terrible when they first start.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - at 10 weeks we should be able to give you some pretty good feedback on photos of your birds

5. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Sorry if my pictures are not good. They were being brats. :). Not all of my chickens are on there. I was having a hard time getting pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

6. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    My pictures didn't show up. I don't know why?

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you can get some pics posted, we would be happy to take a look at your birds. Trying to determine gender without a pic is like shooting in the dark. Good luck in getting those pics posted.

8. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you can see them now. :). Again, these are not the best and I apologize. Thanks for any help you can give me

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like pullets to me. [​IMG]

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Don't see anybody looking like a rooster at this point. Usually by 10 weeks old little roosters will be getting pretty red in the face/comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by