Pullet pacing, panting, and pecked her own face bloody.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noodlez, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Noodlez

Noodlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Orient, Ohio
    Six month old Dark Cornish pullet acting listless, panting, pacing. She's also scratching and pecking at the pine shavings in their little hiding spots really furiously. She started dripping blood from her face, so now she's inside with me sitting on a heating pad in a dog crate so she can't hurt herself but she's still moving around and panting. It was -10F out this morning, obviously not necessary for her to be panting.

She's never laid an egg before, never even thought she would but I can't think of anything else that would have her acting like this because she's ordinarily a very calm bird. I have a BR acting weird too, but not to this degree.

Any idea how I can get her to calm down?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Perhaps she was attacked and injured? Maybe that's why she is acting up. I would clean up her wound with a disinfectant and apply some iodine or plain Neosporin ointment. Check her beak to make sure it is not cracked. Then check her for lice and mites.

3. Noodlez

Noodlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Orient, Ohio
    [​IMG]

First egg! She stopped pecking and scratching finally. I figured that's what the issue was. Hoping the next one doesn't cause her to be quite as self-destructive.

Her beak seems undamaged, but I have no idea how she even managed to do that. Whatever she did, she got blood in her nostrils so she kind of sprayed blood everywhere before I wiped her face. Crazy bird.

Do they generally calm down as they get more used to laying eggs or do they always kind of go haywire right before? Any suggestions on how to calm them down when they get like that before they hurt themselves?

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Congrats! They will calm down after first few eggs. Looks like that girl just hit the flesh above her beak on the edge of a feeder or something while pecking. Everything should be ok.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by