1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet Pimp's 25 ladies *status & PICS update*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pullet Pimp, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I picked up my order of 25 pullets from The Ridgway Hatcheries today and thought I would share the pics I took. Ridgway was only about an hour drive and they talked and talked all the way home. I was by myself and bored so I thought I would conduct a roadside experiment to pass the time. When they were at their loudest I would give them my best impression of a hen and all would go silent for a couple seconds. Then they would all get even louder until I did it again and then all would go silent again. I tried other sounds like whistle, hum, the radio with various types of music and nothing phased them like the hen noises. Oh well, I thought it was fun and it got me home from the trip.

My order was for 25 all pullets 5 of each of:

Rhode Island Red
    Silver Lace Wyandotte
    New Hampshire
    Barred Rock
    Araucana (at least that's what they call them)

When I placed my order for them I asked about the Araucana's and asked if they were true Araucana's (rumpless) or if they had tail feathers and they told me that they did have tail feather's, so going into it I knew I was getting EE's. That is fine with me because the only reason for getting them was for my kids who wanted to see an egg layed that was something other than white or brown. Just thought I would mention it for anyone wanting to place an order on their website and expecting the "rumpless" type, you won't be getting those.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Beautiful babies!

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    They're adorable! Congrats [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    How do you tell the difference between your RIR and NH babies?

5. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Those are some cute babies

6. Pullet Pimp

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:The New Hampshires are yellow like the one in pic 6 and the RIR have more of a darker tint to them like the ones in pics 2,4, and 5. Unless I got that all wrong, some one correct me if I do.

Thanks everyone, man were they hungry and thirsty, they cleaned their plates several times in just a few minutes. They now have their feeder in with them instead of the plates.

7. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    They are all adorable but I believe that they have a 10% error rate on sexings, so I would be shocked that you didn't have one roo. I just noticed your name. LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lov
    Liv

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  8. Pullet Pimp

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Yeah I am expecting a few to be roos, with the way my luck goes it will probably be half roos. When I am able to tell I guess they will be offered here first then craigslist.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    They look so strong and healthy!!! Congrats!!! Cutie pies!!

10. Pullet Pimp

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Just thought I'd share an update of the ladies. This is day 2 at home and they are 3 days old now. I noticed quite a bit of feathering coming in on several of thier wings today. I was suprised at how fast that developed. When inspecting their health I also noticed that 3 of the 25 had the "pasty butt". So, I did what I have read to do on here and gently moistened their rears with warm water and worked until I got it all off and then gave them a slathering of olive oil on their rumps and set them in a box alone until they pooed then returned them to the brooder with the rest. Thanks BYC forum members. Anything else I should have done?

The kids were holding them today and my 8 yr old daughter noticed the egg tooth on one of the EE's and told her 6yr old brother that it was for the chick to help break itself out of the shell. Where did that come from? I never discussed any of that with her. Must be getting my money worth at school. They are just loving the chicks and the boy is always wanting to go down and hold them. DW on the other hand claims that they are my birds and wants nothing to do with them, but is always giving me an update on a temp in the brooder, or telling me if they are all sleeping. I think she is coming around.

Here are some new pics, including the pasty butt. Did I get it good enough? I searched older posts and didn't find any pics of pasty butt and treatment. Lots of descriptions, but no pics. I am just a simple minded folk and like pics to compare to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pasty butt before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

butts after the oil and lube

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

egg tooth