pullet practicing "I has food for you" song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kari_dawn, Jan 29, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    soo....I went out to check food/water/eggs on my chickies like I do every day when I get up, and my family had already let them out for some free ranging (I work nights, so get up late morning). My golden laced polish had found the meat of a crushed acorn, and began the "look, I has food for you!" song...does that mean she is a he? I have been questioning her gender since she started feathering....but the consensus seems to be pullet...then again, that was a month or two ago...her crest is still very round and soft...no hackle/saddle feathears that I see but does anyone know if pullets will practice the "I has food for you" song?

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I have no idea what song you are talking about lol. post a pic.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, pullets do practice adult behavior, and the "tid-bitting" call is something a hen does with chicks. It's NOT just for roosters. Your pullet could still be a pullet. If you are as good at sexing birds as am I, you will have to wait until she either lays and egg or crows to know for sure.

I totally depend upon my friends to tell me what I've got in my flock.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The tidbitting call is employed by juveniles of both sexes to indicate food items to flockmates / siblings, They do not make call when non-flockmates are closer.

5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
  6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    If you post a picture, I'm sure we coulld just tell you.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This was very interesting to see, as it backs up my own observations. Really cool that it's an actual STUDY! Thanks so much for posting it!

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I was hopeful that was what it was...my EE hen started doing that when she witnessed my OEG doing that for her adopted chicks...very cute...she looked so confused. I will get you a picture. I will be right back.

9. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay, so my sister got a little over-zealous when giving the two polish girls haircuts...those are scissor cuts, not streamers...so you can't really go by Mantis' crest...which is going to make this a little tougher...but here she is.

[​IMG]

You can see how lopsided the bird's crest now is...it is almost non-exsistant on the right side of her head [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by