Pullet puffed up on a hot day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamiPollo, May 11, 2011.

1. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    My 5 week old pullet, Maud, is puffed up. I examined her, but do not see any injuries or anything obvious. She came over and stood on my foot while I was sitting on the toilet, as if to ask for help.

Is there anything likely that it could be? They are in the bathroom, but I have tried to put up anything that could be harmful.

I first noticed this yesterday. I had to work, and it was going to be a hot day, so I turned the air on. The girls were in the bathtub when I left, but came home to find them walking around on the tile floor.

Today it is warm and I have left the air off. It is around 78 degrees in the bathroom and I have the window cracked about 3 inches and the ventilation fan on. All the others seem okay.

I did notice that Hilda, the dominant one, tried to peck her when I was putting her down. Do chickens feel jealousy? Hilda is usually the one who gets a lot of attention from me, so I wasn't sure if she was jealous of me holding and talking to Maud, or if she was pecking her because she is infirm.

Suggestions?

2. MamiPollo

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    Today Maud seems weaker and is unable to compete for her food. She shows an interest in the food, but the other chicks push her out of the way and she does not fight it.

Otherwise, she just sits there puffed up and looking weak. She seems reluctant to move. Just sits very still.

I have 6 chicks so I cannot identify which poop is hers. However, there is some dark, runny poop in there.

I am wondering about coccidiosis. They knocked over their waterer one night and slept on wet bedding. Could this be the case? How would I know and what should I do?

3. MamiPollo

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    Okay, I have put her in a laundry basket in the same room with the rest of the chicks. I put a lid on it so she can't fly out and no one else can poop in her area. She is definately distressed and crying. Hopefully she will settle down.

So far she has made two poops. One is regular color, and maybe slightly runny (or possibly just fresh). The other was white and runny.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The puffed up and lethargic thing would seem to me to be cocci. She is at an age where it wouldn't be abnormal.
    Blood in the poo is something that usually shows up when the disease is pretty far along.

5. MamiPollo

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    If that is what it is, what can I do about it?

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Just type in 'cocci' etc into the search box on the top right of the page - this forum has invaluable information. Good luck!

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Put her on liquid Corid asap. I just went through this with a bunch of chicks. I tried the sulmet first which I saw recommended and the cocci came back. I got them on Corid and it worked excellent.

They don't always get bloody poop right away with cocci. It is usually progressed before the bloody poop shows up.

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by