1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet Pulling Her Feathers Out....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a Black Australorp pullet that is 7 months old. She has been laying steadily, nearly everyday since she was 6 months old. My question is, is it normal for them to pull out their feathers while laying eggs? After she leaves the nest box, there is always 4 or 5 feathers she has plucked from herself. This goes on everyday. Is she going to stop before she goes bald? Thanks for any information. Leyla [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That is often a sign of broodiness. They pluck their bellies bald, so that they can come in direct contact with the eggs, plus it makes a nice nest. If she's not staying on the nest constantly, she may be partially broody.

3. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    the hen just started to go broody i would let her sitt on some eggs

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    She lays very quickly and gets out of the box right away. Would it help if I saved the feathers, (I have been removing them) so that she might stop plucking them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by