Pullet Quit Laying Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by islandchickens, Aug 22, 2011.

1. islandchickens

islandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Our girl started laying at 5 1/2 months. She layed 11 eggs in 14 days. Then one morning we found a deformed and underdeveloped egg outside the next box. We know it was hers because she is the only brown layer. Since then, its been 12 days with no more eggs. Has anyone seen this before. We really hope to get more beautiful brown eggs.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Sometimes things like this happens! It might take a little bit of time for their bodies to get used to it. Give her a little bit of time!!

3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Wish I could offer more - the only thing I can think of would be this ...
    she's young and her body just insn't in full swing yet, something stressed her such has extreme heat or a predator tried to get at her ... or there isn't enough calcium in her feed - causing soft eggs that are getting broken and eaten.

Most likely because she's just started laying, though - and her body is still working out the egg making "schedule" [​IMG]

I've had hens quit laying after they've gotten a good fright from a nasty storm, predators, heat - you name it. But they usually got back to it in a few days.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by