Pullet recovering from fox attack - some advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammae, Jun 11, 2016.

1. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Hello,

This is my first time posting here, but I've found this forum very helpful as a new chicken keeper.

I had 3 EE (Edna, Harriet and Florence) and 2 Buff Orps (Hazel and Pickels) that I got as chicks March 2015, a Sizzle (Claudia) that I recently rescued to my chicken convent from a friend who's roosters were giving her too much attention, and 4 chicks (2 welsummer and 2 salmon faverolles - 6 wks old). We had a fox attack at chicken bedtime 4 days ago. We lost Edna, Harriet and Claudia. Hazel got away and outran the fox until we intervened.

Hazel's wounds when we found her were as follows:
    - puncture wound on back above the left wing
    - puncture wound behind left ear
    - 3 puncture wounds on chest - 1 of which was quite deep.
    - gurgling/wheezing when breathing heavily, quiet when calm
    - pooping regularly, small bit of blood in stool on 2nd day only
    - eating some yogurt and chick mash, drinking when prompted (and possibly on own, but not witnessed)
    - laid egg morning after attack and not again (egg was normal, assuming it's because it was already in production)

What I did for her:
    - cleaned wounds with isopropyl alcohol diluted with water (I know not ideal, but only had a bit of peroxide left on hand), rinsed with warm water, packed punctures with triple polysporin.
    - next 2 days, cleaned with saline solution, packed with polysporin
    - added vinegar to water to encourage drinking
    - kept her in a crate in the bathroom (warm and natural light in there) for first few days.

Where we're at now:
    - Hazel was still very lethargic, although her wounds were closing over and healing well.
    - green bruising started to appear on chest around the worst wounds
    - wounds clean, no smell, no redness and no visible infection
    - still wheezing/gurgling when not calm
    - we reintroduced her to the coop yesterday in hopes hat being with her remaining flock would help everybody out (the other girls were pretty down too). She is getting along well with them, went to roost at night beside them, is eating and is out in the run this morning.
    - She is still in "puffed up" mode. I'm assuming it's maybe due to pain? She's waking veeeery slowly.

My question:
    - is there anything else at all I can do for her without taking her to the vet? It's the line we've drawn for chicken care.
    - I am really concerned about internal bleeding. In sure there's nothing I can do for that, but are there any suggestions?
    - is it possible one of the punctures affected a part of her airway and is causing the gurgling? Is there any chance of a good outcome from that?

Thank you for reading this far! I know this is long, but I wanted to provide complete information for the best response.

Here's a photo of Hazel taken yesterday:

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016

Thank you!

She laid an egg yesterday! I also sat in the coop to observe everyone for a bit - the other girls are treating her normal and I watched her eat, drink and scratch around. She still has herself all fluffed up though.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good to hear, but she may still not feel well, thus the puffing up. It can take weeks for them to recover from a predator attack. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by