Pullet refuses to lay eggs in nestbox

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MageofMist, Nov 16, 2017.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Songster

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I have a hen who started laying recently, about 2 and a half months early too, who refuses to use the nestboxes. She walks around the kitchen whining about not having a spot to lay eggs despite her seeing other hens lay eggs in the box and there being a dummy egg in it. Normally she eventually plops one down on the floor, but today she was being very stubborn about it which made me fear egg-bounding, so I brought her in the living room and made her a blanket cave on the couch where she nestled down and laid her egg.
    spoiled hen.png spoiled hen2.png
    She is very spoiled. :lau

Psaxton likes this.
  2. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I have a few that don't lay in their boxes either, one lays on the poop board even! I have no idea how to change it so I'm not much help. And I have no experience with having chickens in my house.

MageofMist likes this.
  3. MageofMist

MageofMist Songster

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I have tried everything I could think of to get her to lay in the nestbox, dummy eggs, leaving real eggs in it, placing the hen near or in the box when she is pacing about looking for a spot to lay... Only for her to walk out of it/away from it. She shows no interest in the nestbox at all. :confused: I even put food in it to try and entice her and had no effect.

andreanar likes this.
  4. MageofMist

MageofMist Songster

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain

Here is a vid of it :p I said 4 months early by accident in the vid instead of 2 months early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: