Pullet salivating / dribbling liquid a lot after drinking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dudu, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Dear all,
    I noticed that my 8 months girl Tilly always has wet sawdust around her drinker when she stays at home in the crate. At first I thought she was just splashing it.

A bit earlier, since she's on the thin side and her poop is often watery, I took a fecal sample which came back as cocci. Gave her Baytril for that and afterwards Ivermectin to deworm just in case (cos she lived in the big yard which we dewormed and there were worms present).

Already during the deworming I noticed that right after she drank the water, saliva-like transparent liquid came out of her beak. It didn't look like vomiting, just as if she was not able to hold the liquid which spilled out. Usually she goes to pick on it, and recently I noticed she holds her head up with her beak a bit open, there's a bit of a gargling noise, then sneezes and goes back to drink again, and she can keep doing it for many minutes in a row.

Her crop does empty overnight, and her poop can be nice and solid too (I think now especially after a repeat course of deworming).

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? :(

Thanks a lot in advance...
    Irena

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Just thought maybe anyone would have some thoughts? Sorry to bump...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by