1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet scared of heights?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by albodean, Nov 28, 2016.

1. albodean

albodean Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi All,

I heard a lot of what sounded like distressed squawking coming from outside where my pullets were free ranging earlier. I ran outside fearing the worst but found that one of my girls had managed to perch herself on top of a 6ft garden fence! I have no idea how she got up there. In my mind, all of the squawking was because she couldn't figure out how to get herself down (she was back to being her normal self when I got her down).

Was she afraid of being up so high and not being able to find a safe route down? If so, although it may not have been her brightest idea to go up there in the first place, I'm quite pleased that she was clever enough to let everyone know she needed help!

Thanks,

Alex

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Hi, How old are they ? If they were all squawking I would first think there was a predator out there.

3. albodean

albodean Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi Granny, they're 24 weeks old. I don't think it was a predator as the other two were just watching her - not making any noise.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    LOL Thats pretty cute then.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I had a rooster that wouldnt climb a ladder. If I put him up he would tremble and I felt bad so I would take him back down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by