Pullet secret egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammy56, Nov 21, 2014.

1. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    I have a pullet which is 6 months old and her comb and wattles are red and larger and I checked her pelvic bone my 2 fingers fits fine but she didnt lay eggs yet and she stays free range all day if she lays egg somewhere secret how will i know the egg is there

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You've pretty much answered your own question as to where the egg(s) are. As you allow free-ranging you'll have to go "hunting" to find her nest.....that's assuming that she is laying.

Does your pullet do the 'submissive squat' for you yet? If so she is very very close to lay. It all boils down to the waiting game. One day she's not laying, the next day...boom! There's an egg!

3. sammy56

Oct 22, 2014
    Wont she stay close to the egg too guard it I have a big free ranging place she even goes outside

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Only if she's broody. Hens lay eggs, then walk away like it was nothing.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    No - she will not guard the egg.

6. sammy56

Oct 22, 2014
    Will she squat like a predtor eating her for how long I mean how much time does it take to lay an egg and will she squat all this time

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    ?? - not sure what you mean by the bolded. It might make your posts easier to read (and, thus, answer) if you break your posts up with punctuation so we can see where each thought/statement/question begins and ends.

When a hen is preparing to lay she will enter her chosen nesting place and settle in. She doesn't "squat", rather she will "lay" so that her abdomen is flush with the nest and her feet are up under her (a resting position). She'll be like that for any range of time - from a few minutes to over an hour - as each hen is different. When the egg is at the point of being ready to actually be expulsed from her body she will rise up into a squatting position (note, this is not the same "squat" iwiw is talking about above - that squat is the submissive squat where the bird will lower her body, and spread her wings to submit to a rooster and allow him to mount and mate her. The "laying squat" is half standing/half sitting with her head up and vent down while she strains to push the egg out), strain and drop the egg. This can also range in time from a few seconds to minutes. Once the egg drops she will stay standing there while her body recovers (the vent returns to it's normal position) and then may either settle back down over the egg for a bit more of a rest or hop off the nest and go on about her day. This whole process can take as little as a few minutes or longer than an hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by