pullet sick blood in poop, ruffled feathers,not really eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvsmycritters, Jul 26, 2007.

1. luvsmycritters

luvsmycritters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2007
    i took her in the house to get her away from the others . shes the only one sick . i noticed blood in her poop but she was still active . now shes not moving around not eating or drinking and her feathers are ruffled all the time and her backend is wet(runnie poop) . any ideas how to treat her would be wonderful since i'm afraid i'm going to loss her. or give me a idea of what this could be .i never had this problem before . i'm new to this site stumbled on it while looking up chicken health and diseases thank you for any answers

only thing successfull in life sitting on there behind is a chicken

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If there is blood... she has Cocci. Get the whole flock treated with something like sulmet or amprol ASAP. Amprol does not have withdrawal time so I used that one and they all got better fast. It only takes a few days for everyone to get sick and a few days for them to start dropping like flies.

3. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I have the same issue. Is it too late for a chicken if they're pooping blood and resting?

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Blood in the feces is not a universal sign that it is an over load of cocci. It can also be an overload of parasites, it can be torn tissue internally.

My first recommendation is to get a fecal done right now. Find out what, if any, parasites are present and is there an over load? I had a bird with bloody feces caused by capillaria.

The treatment for cocci will not address an over load of parasites, so while you might be treating for something that isn't the problem the bird is continuing to decline.

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    In the meantime, get some electrolytes into the poor girl. If she is not drinking much and has a lot of runny poo, she'll dehydrate quickly. You may need to give her liquids with a dropper periodically, just to be sure she's taking some in.

6. KarenLlew

KarenLlew New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    I had the same problem when I introduced my 3-4 month old chicks into the barn with our adults. Two went downhill and died very quickly, almost before I knew they were even ill. I brought 2 back into the house and got advice through this site that they probably picked up coccidiosis scratchning around where the older birds were. They would not have built up immunity like the older birds. I talked to my vet and she Amprol for me to use for all the birds, young and old. I force fed the 2 in the house for a couple of days before putting them back out. They responded very quickly and now all the birds are acting normally. I used a .024% solution for the first week and am now on a .006% solution for the last week or two. I know if I hadn't force fed the 2 who were debiltated, they would have died...my vet recommended baby pablum, mixed cereal. (given through a syringe) I also am feeding the adult birds eggs back to them, rather than eating them ourselves. I read opn another site that the medication would break down sufficiently and theyu would benefit from the protien and not be affected by the meds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by