pullet sick - update: she is dying, red mucus in her mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengr, Jan 1, 2015.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    hi, this is the very first time in my life I have chicken. I have got them about a month ago. my youngest 3 months old pullet is sick and I do not know what she has got. many animals in my area have been hit by a virus.

I think she got cold when the weather got worse. She slept a lot but ate and drank. Yesterday she did not wake up in the morning and when she finally got out of the coop she fell asleep again. I put her in the house and she slept all day long. I forced her to drink and she ate a little bit. her poop was a bit watery but normal as she did not eat.

today she did not eat at all but she drank some water (with apple vinegar). I put some garlic, chilli pepper flakes, honey and vinegar in water and very little chicken food. it was liquid and I gave her some of that with a syringe. she was fighting not to take it but after that her poop was 100% normal. but she sleeps all the time and does not want to eat. I cleaned her nostrils, they are just a little bit runny, nothing else. She has no other symptoms.

as it might be a virus I am not willing to give her antibiotics. is that correct? can she live drinking water only (with vinegar, honey and garlic in it)? is there any way to force her to eat an what should I give her? I tried some worms which I caught in the garden, yesterday she was happy to eat them but today I could not even force her to have some.

my cockerel and other 3 pullets are ok.

any advise, please?

I gave her antibiotics, but id did not help. she is dying and some red mucus is coming out of her mouth. what might that be? should I be concerned about my other chicken?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that the chickens may have been exposed to a respiratory disease from where they lived previously. Diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) can show up if they are stressed, say from the cold weather. With the runny nose, I would go ahead and use Tylan 50 injectable to treat her since she is so sick. You can give it to her as a shot in the breast, or give it orally. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound daily for 3-5 days, and you can give it in 2 divided doses morning and evening. Giving antibiotics in the water is pretty useless when a chicken is sick, in winter, and not drinking well. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Bloody mucus that is coughed up from throat or nostrils can be a sign of ILT (infectious laryngotracheitis) which is listed in the link above.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    thank you for your advise. but she passed away. I think that she had bad genetics and that is something we cannot do anything about.

at the end I realised there was no bloody mucus but she was vomiting. I did not see it well at first. her crop had never been empty and when I tried to massage it I could not feel anything. Looked just as a shape of her crop. I had her for about 40 days and she slept a lot all the time. she ate normally, was foraging as well but slept a lot. I thought because she had been young. I have never had chicken in my life so I do not know a lot about them.

well, thank you again and I wish you good luck with your animals.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by