Pullet size oyster shell for coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 1000yearoldeggs, Jan 1, 2014.

1. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    I have a huge bag of oyster shell that I use for my chickens. My only coturnix hen will probably start laying soon since I'm keeping her inside at the moment, so I'm wondering if I should offer her some. Can she swallow it as is or do I have to crush it smaller?

Thanks in advance!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If the oyster shell is that "pullet" sized stuff, yes you will need to crush it. If it is the stuff for automatic dispensers and is chipped, then it won't need crushing. If in doubt, crush it. :)

Just offer some up in a small bowl or container that she can access and when she is ready, she will eat it. :)

3. Chickety Charcoal

Chickety Charcoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Westchester County, NY
    Good to know. Is there any danger with the males eating some of the shells when they are kept in the same cage? As in roosters getting too much calcium when the chickens have shells available?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Actually, you will see the males occasionally eat the oyster shell. They do need some calcium, but very little. They know what's best for them and won't eat it if they don't need it. So you are safe keeping it in the same cage with both males and females. :)

5. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    Hi, thanks for replying. I gave her some a couple days ago and she ate some as is. I may crush it anyway just to make it easier for her. She just happened to lay an egg yesterday and today, too! I'm excited, I definitely need more hens. The eggs are so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by