Pullet sleep on the floor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prairiehen74369, Jul 14, 2011.

1. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    I have 10 Silver Laced Wyaundott Pullets and two Roosters all the same age. The pullets should start laying next month roosters are starting to crow they have their own coop and yard the problem is they roost on the floor not on their roost they play on the roost but do not sleep on the roost that's going to be pretty cold come winter any ideas??I've given them plenty of time to figure it out on their own.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    My SLW pullets will not roost on the roost......they roost piled up in a corner. They have their own coop and run they play on the roost but don't roost on it at night any ideas?? They should start laying before long the two roosters that are with them are starting to crow.

I'm sorry somehow I ended up with two posts [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. HennyPennyHenHouse

HennyPennyHenHouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Mine do the same thing - sleep piled up in the corner. They have been in the coop for about a week now and are 12 weeks old. I've tried putting them up on the roosts numerous times but they always jump down. Any ideas anyone?

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Mine too they're almost 10 weeks. They roost on the roost bar in the run but at night the huddle together like chicks. Hoping they'll figure it out soon. I think this is a common occurence [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    My girls are going on 5 months, and still want to roost in the nest boxes! I have had to go in every night to put them on the roost. Once they are on, they stay on, because it's dark when I do this..but, I thought of something..I put a towel up across the nest boxes around 8 at night, then it comes off early in the morning...it works! They don't try to figure a way around it. It works for the way I have the boxes and roosts..may be different for you. Just have to think of a way to block their fav spot. [​IMG]

6. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I had the same problem with some of my chickens crowding in a corner on the floor. I don't think they liked where the roosts were. I have 26, and about 11 were crowding on to one small roost I had in front of a window. The rest were on the floor in 2 corners. I rearranged the roosts so they were on opposite walls from eachother, the same size and height and both extend all the way down the walls, each in front of 2 windows. I also put a small 3 roost ladder under one of the roosts. Now they all sleep on the roosts, none on the floor or anywhere else. Only a couple ever even sleep on the lower roosts. Maybe it was the roosts, or maybe it's just maturing.

I had some roosting in my nest boxes too, so I cleaned them out and closed them up. They aren't old enough to start laying yet. I have the metal kind, that you can fold up the roosts in front of them so they can't get in. I guess in a few weeks I'll put some new hay in them and open them up again. I hope by then everyone is use to roostin where they belong, and don't take up residence in the boxes again. I don't want no poopy eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by