Pullet sleeps alone in nest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknnugget, Jan 25, 2013.

1. chicknnugget

chicknnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    I have a new pullet who is half the size of her new coop mates ( Not sure her age/ maybe3-4 months old?). She has made friends with my Orpington but the EE and Wyandotte still stay seperate from her and her new allie the Orpington during the day. I have had her for about 2 weeks. She sleeps inside the coop with the other Ladies, but only in a nesting box. I tried to place her on the roost a night or two ago, but NOBODY was happy about that. The others seem ok with her in the nest. I go out around 7:00AM to pull her out of there before the butt kickings begins. I only have one roosting bar with room enough for about 2 more birds including her.. Not sure if she is happy in the nest or would she like to be up with the others on the roost? Is there a chance she may freeze all alone in a nest. Its been in the mid 20's at night so I have added lots of extra shaving, and my coop is small so i hope they are warming it up a little in there for her. Was wondering if I should keep trying to stick her on the roost or just let it alone? Was thinking maybe she is just not the right age to roost yet. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks so much in advance!

2. chicknnugget

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    Not sure if I'm doing this thread posting thing right. Can anyone see this other that me. Thanks!

3. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Hello. I have some hens that like to sleep in the nest boxes as well. My little silkie's sleep in nest boxes as well as my frizzle. I think they might feel warmer sleeping in the boxes because they can bury down some in the hay. I havnt been alarmed by it and think its fine.

4. chicknnugget

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    Thanks for the reply! One guick question. Do your 2 birds that sleep in the nest box sleep together or in seperate boxes. Just wondering.

5. chicknnugget

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    Thanks for the reply! One quick quesrion. Do your hens sleep togehter in one box or alone in seperate boxes?

6. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    sometimes the two silkie's will sleep in the same box and sometimes they dont. My frizzle always sleeps in its own box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by