pullet squatting for at least three weeks but no egg? Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wahmommy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    She's a wheaten ameraucana, and she consistently squats, but no egg.. hope nothing is stuck in there...

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If she is a pullet that hasn't started yet, no worry. They will often squat for some time before they start. Of course some lay before they squat. Each individual develops in their own way. Then again can she have a hidden nest?

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    How old is she? What is her diet? Light in the coop? (How much time?) What does her comb look like?
    I have a hen that squats for any roo she gets near, but all I have ever got from her is leathers (6 of them over time, 2 the same day). Like stated above, IF she is a pullet I would not worry about her just yet,,,,

4. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    She is 23 weeks old yesterday, her diet is grower with oyster shell free choice (and she is eating the oyster shell) her comb is red red red. Two other hens (older ones) have been laying for a month now, so I would think she would also lay. The coop is south facing and a lot of light comes in in the morning.

I know that a lot of birds lay later than 23 weeks, but I was concerned because she has been squatting for so long with no egg. The posts I've read usually indicate eggs within a couple of weeks of the squat. Just want to make sure she's not egg bound or anything. I picked her up and felt around and didn't feel anything but I don't really know what to look for if she is egg bound. She's behaving normally, eating normally etc.

5. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have a Wheaton Ameraucana also, she is older and was slow to re-start laying, she was in molt when I got her. Maybe they are just slow to start,,,. I run a light in the coop/s set to come on at 4 am and off after sun rise. Gives about 14 hours of light and helps with production. Is there any chance she has hidden her nest? Give her some more time, she sounds like she is ready, as for the egg bound part check this out, this is one of my girls eggs, it is,,, was a double
    [​IMG]

but I am a bit disappointed that she lays a brown egg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

6. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    My crazy girl started squatting at 18 weeks and didnt lay until 25. I guess that roo was just too pretty.

7. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia

Your Avatar scares me. [​IMG]

8. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    well she was checking out the nest box yesterday but no egg...but maybe today.. ? I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks for alleviating my worry...

9. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    How could She He scare you? He's a nice voctorian lady. (heheh) Its one of my favorite comedy show characters from the UK.

10. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I had this problem with my Easter Eggers - squatting, but no eggs. I was worried. Then I found a hidden nest under the shed in the backyard with about ten blue/mint eggs in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by