Pullet started crowing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TammyP, Oct 12, 2009.

1. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Hello, I'm new here and also new to chickens. I have a Cochin Pullet (or so I think) that just started to crow. She was born around May 6th with 4 other Cochins which I know are Roos... She didn't start crowing until a couple of weeks after I removed the evil roos from my coop and stuck them next door in a pen. They can hear each other and when the Roos start crowing next door, she starts in too. Her crow is a different pitch than theirs. I took pictures so you all can verify that this little lady is truly a lady and just showing she is the #1 pullet in command? lol Here she is. I was told she was a partridge cochin; is that correct by what you see here? What should I expect for egg color & size? Thanks for all your replies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

That looks like a bouncing baby boy to me, did you buy all pullets? Vent sexed at a day old, I think the guarantee rate is only 85%.

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Yep, look at those pointy saddle feathers... My bet's roo.

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I'm sorry that is a Rooster...... A partridge cochin hen does not have all of the pretty coloring that a roo has.

If you could get a full body pic that would be better, but I am pretty sure I see saddle feathers.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That's a partridge roo. Hens are a completely different color.

6. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    The funny thing is that "she" was always "different" than the other 4....she looked different and her comb is smaller. Plus, the other 'roos' would try to ...um, you know with her but fight with the other ones. She also was always the one who would 'set' like a girl chicken but the others didn't. This is why I felt she was a girl. "she" isn't trying anything with the girls at all.... the other ones went crazy with my pullets.....
    See why I am confused? LOL..... What does a 5 month old pullet cochin look like then? Anyone have a pic to share?
    Thanks for your replies..... I'm not thoroughly convinced yet; can you tell? LOL.
    I bought 5 cochins at once and was TOLD they all were girls but I know 4 are boys from when they started crowing months ago.....this one here never showed signs of boyhood until I removed the roos.... weird. LOL

Also wondering if someone could post a cochin egg pic? Thanks everyone!!

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The one on the right is almost laying & partridge: [​IMG]

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    oh- here's some that started laying about 2 months ago:

[​IMG]

9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that is a male partridge cochin. HappyMtn posted what females of the variety look like.

10. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep.. there is a reason you are hearing crowing. It is a boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by