Pullet started having egg formation and laying problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lobzi, May 2, 2017.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a six month old pullet who started laying early and laid an egg religiously for about two months. She also laid about the same time every day rather than the one hour off routine. Anyway, after laying about 24 eggs or so she stopped for a day then laid again then stopped. Now she is struggling and passing a gooey mess. I dont care if I get eggs from her but I am concerned that she seems to really struggle through this. She goes to bed at night then gets up after about an hour and wonder around and struggle and struggles to pass the goo. Is there any ideas as to what is going on? Should I just wait it out? Is there anything I should do for her?
    Yesterday I found a fairy egg that Im pretty sure she passed in the early morning.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    bumping this for you. I hope someone can help :(

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding?

4. Lobzi

She eats eggs shell for calcium and love corn, scratch, chicken, meal worms, greens...she is pretty good little eater and will try most anything I offer her. She likes grated carrots, sunflower seeds, and sometimes eats cooked egg.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Are you feeding her any actual feed, though? Those are all treats/supplements.

6. Lobzi

I feed all my flock what they will eat and that is wild bird seed. I dont see her eating any of that though. Ive tried feeding layer pellets and they wont touch it.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    So in other words, not a balanced diet with everything needed for effective absorption of essential nutrients. Give them only a nutritionally balanced feed, and nothing else. A healthy bird will not starve themselves.

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    If your birds really hate layer pellets (mine aren't crazy about them, but will eat them) you can also feed grower or all flock and supplement with oyster shell to make up for the lack of calcium. I agree with the others though, take away all treats, supplements, etc. until they start eating their feed regularly.

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I will also add that bird seed usually contains a lot of seeds that are high in fat. In chickens, the primary fat deposits are in the tail and vent region. This can lead to laying problems because the fat deposits do not allow eggs to pass normally through the oviduct and can make it much more difficult to expel the eggs.

10. Lobzi

I did two things yesterday. I started them all on Rooster Booster and Annie, my little girl had a bath. It was very hot here and has been for a few days now. She is a bantam bluff ball, cochin X faverolle, so she gets very hot even when it is mild in temp. So during the bath I examined her vent and tail area. Everything looked and felt quite normal. No extra fat that I recall. Ill keep her on the Rooster Booster and add that last night was the first night in few that she did NOT pass the gooey mess.
    Thanks for getting me thinking about some helpful changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by