Pullet started, then stopped laying after a couple weeks--why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haTHOR, Oct 14, 2011.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    It was a little early--right at 5 months, and neither of her sisters were laying (and still aren't, which is fine). Now we are at 6 mos and no eggs from her for a couple weeks. Any ideas why? I raise lots of chickens and have not experienced this before.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Stres can cause a drop in egglaying, or it could be the weather. I would closely monitor her, in case it is an illness that is causing it.

3. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    Good idea...I inspected her pretty close just now--no problems i can see. Has anyone else ever experienced this? We did not have any stressful events around the time she just stopped.

4. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    It did start to get cool right when she stopped, as i look back at the dates. Could that really make a difference?

5. Harrys chick

Harrys chick New Egg

Jun 15, 2013
    I wondered if you ever solved this problem? I had five pullets in December. They started laying pretty soon but after a few weeks two of them stopped. They have not started again and I haven't had an egg from them for at least 3/4 months now.

6. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

One of my chickens who was 20 weeks old starting laying eggs then I noticed a large laceration on her head which I cleaned and stitched closed. She stopped laying for 1-2 weeks after that while she was healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by