Pullet starving, poopy butt, won't eat much, not standing

daxigait

Free Ranging
8 Years
Aug 10, 2015
SW Missouri
I have a nine month old HRIR pullet that is dying. She had a poopy butt this last weekend so I washed her butt, blowed her dry and gave her ivermectin. She got a poopy butt again within two days. The last two nights I had to put her in the coop. I wonder now if she could not get up the ramp. She drank really well last night, but tonight she was laying by the water. When I picked her up I realized she is extremely thin, and she is not able to stand. She is having trouble even sitting up right.
She just ate some of the eggs I cooked up after I brought her inside. Her crop is not full like it should be in the evening. I don't think she is laying yet, but I checked and I can't feel any egg at the back. She can't move around.

Last edited:
I am not sure what might be causing her issues but if you can keep feeding her and giving her drinks then she has a good chance of stabilizing over the next few days. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you some advice here. Best wishes.

Well, I got her to eat some of the eggs, and drink some of the water that I put save a chick probiotics and electrolytes in. She is laying on a heated pet bed pad. I don't know what else to do right now.
@casportpony@ChickenCanoe@mlm mike

Last edited:
Do you have her in the house where it's warm? If so, I'd be careful about using the heated pet bed, so she doesn't overheat.

Chickens sometimes get diarrhea or vent gleet for various reasons. Keep her hydrated and eating like @chickenchaser said. And also flush her system with epsom salts to remove any toxins. Adding probotics and vitamins to her food or water should help too. Here's an article on how to use epsom salts
http://pin.it/Tuti7Fr
Would that cause her to be soooooo thin too?
Thanks for the link. I will check it after I get the fire going.

Would that cause her to be soooooo thin too?
Thanks for the link. I will check it after I get the fire going.

No, i dont think so. It may be dehydrating though. So I would give her some electrolytes after the treatment. Kicken chicken is a good fat supplement to mix in her feed to gain weight. But at the moment just scrambled eggs like you've been giving are best.

Last edited:
Do you have her in the house where it's warm? If so, I'd be careful about using the heated pet bed, so she doesn't overheat.
Well, my house is about 58° right now, and she is in a bathroom with the door shut because of my two cats. I thought she might need it.

I'm so sorry to hear about this Dax (I came over after you posted on the Educational thread). I don't have a lot to offer - the only experience I have with this sort of presentation (very thin, diarrhea, and decline) is the two girls (mother and later daughter) I lost to Avian Leukosis. But that doesn't meant this is that, of course. I'm sure there are other possibilities.

If she's around, Kathy would be the best to advise (I'm tagging her), as I recall a few stories she described with managing very underweight birds. Regardless, I think you're doing everything right at the moment, getting food into her as she'll eat, and hydrating her, and keeping her warm. If she survives, getting food into her will be the first priority so that she can stabilize her weight. Kathy suggested that I buy some exotic baby bird food at the pet store for one of my declining chicks (though it didn't survive long enough) - I wish you were nearby, as I could give it to you, as I'm not using it. But I think eggs are probably good for now, esp if she'll eat them.

I'll be thinking of you and her.
hugs.gif

- Ant Farm

@casportpony

Back
Top Bottom