pullet still ill after 2 weeks care..what to try next?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Sep 17, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my young pullet is still hanging in there but showing no major signs of improvement. i'll quickly recap so far whats happened

around 2 weeks ago she was acting lethargic, stumbling, standing around eyes closed and lost lots of weight. we brought her in and wormed her, no improvement so started her on antibiotics (which she took for 5 days in her water) she seemed better so we put her back out in the field, next morning she didnt come out of the hen house until late and looked in awful condition, stumbling, tripping falling face first in the mud then refused to move (with face still in mud) so we brought her back inside. a few days later she looked a touch better again so every day we put her in her own make shift run while i went to work and she'd scratch about slowly looking for bugs.
    yesterday i came home and she was sprawled out in the run, eyes closed, on her side with just one leg twitching. i though she was in the throws of death and was leaving us. then a few seconds later she sqwarked and jumped up scaring the life out of me!!! then carried on scratching about as if nothing had happened. i wondering how many times shes been having these little episodes...? was that the first or have they been happening a lot? could she be lacking in something and be having fits? or could it be a brain problem or something like epilepsy??

im unsure what to do with her........ [​IMG]

shes about 25 weeks old, not yet laid a single egg, we'e had her from 15 weeks old

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have no idea I hope someone here can help as info like this is important to have

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well the pullet finally passed away after a bad fit this morning, she seemed to lose consciousness and never woke up again.
    RIP little one

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm so sorry for your loss.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by