1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet stopped laying looking very bloated ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mark0, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mark0

mark0 New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
    My 4 x Isa Brown pullet's started laying 3 weeks ago, until recently I have been getting 4 eggs daily, on Sunday I only got 3 eggs & on looking at the pullets I noticed one was all fluffed up and looking very disinterested in everything. Whilst the other 3 pullets were out scratching about in the field it just stayed next to the feeder, thinking this unusual behaviour I examined it thinking it may be egg bound but nothing was seen, I have since gave the pullet a bath in warm water for 30m and gave it cod liver oil orally however still no change.

I now have separated it from the others and put it in a warm stable to confirm it is the pullet that isn't laying but it does seem perky enough, it is managing to get into the rafters of the stable to roost and is taking feed and water.
    Has anyone got any ideas what is wrong at the moment I am just going to let nature take its course and hope for the best.
    I would be obliged if anyone has any solutions.
    Thanks.

ps I live in the West Coast of Scotland where the weather has been particularly cold recently if this has any bearing on the pullet's behaviour.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    egg bound? [​IMG]

3. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] It sounds to me like internal laying to me... My hens have had this a few times... And sadly there is no cure for it. I'm not saying that this IS what it is but it sort of sounds like it... I hope someone will chime in and give other options as to what it could be... But if it is that, I've found that rather than letting it be in pain until death... You should put it out of it's misery. [​IMG]

BUT MOST DEFINITELY WAIT FOR THAT TO BE CONFIRMED BY FELLOW BYCER'S OR ANOTHER SOURCE!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by