Pullet stopped laying? Or is she hiding a nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sjshaw1980, Sep 29, 2012.

1. sjshaw1980

sjshaw1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hey all,
    I have an interesting problem I'd like to run by some more experienced chicken keepers to see your thoughts.

I have a small flock of 8; 3 hens, 4 pullets in lay, and one pullet not yet in lay (expected next month). The 4 pullets hatched in March and started laying in early August. They have been pretty regular, and I was averaging 3-4 per day from them. But one of them stopped laying on September 17th. She hasn't laid since then, I haven't heard her singing, and I rarely see her anywhere near the coop during the day. She was the first to lay, and was one of the more reliable pullets up to now, and I'm starting to get concerned. The others are still going strong, I'm getting 2-3 from them, and they don't appear to have any health problems.

My girls free range around my fenced yard most of the day, and have access to free choice laying ration and crushed oyster shell, so she is, or at least should be getting the proper nutrition. She is still acting like her normal self, and doesn't seem to be losing weight or feathers.

Originally, I thought that she had decided to hide a nest somewhere, but I've searched all over the yard and can't find a thing.

Any thoughts as to why she stopped laying?

Thanks for your input!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Any feathers laying around? Look at her tail feathers - are they missing? She could be going through a minor molt and they don't lay while molting.

3. sjshaw1980

sjshaw1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    2 of the 3 hens are molting, one of them is a leghorn and this pullet is white, so I can't be sure. She doesn't look ratty though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by