Pullet Stopped Laying

Colleen2016

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2016
Saint John, NB, Canada
I got my six hens when they were all about two months old. They all started laying in early August, but now one of the hens has stopped. I believe she is a black Ameraucana. When she started, her eggs were very small, and a beautiful light blue colour. She would make a big racket at laying time. She laid for about two weeks almost every day. Now no more small blue eggs, no more big racket, and no more nesting. She gets exactly the same food and treatment as the other hens and they are all religiously laying regular or large eggs now, just about every day. She looks healthy, is not broody or moulting, and I felt her and she does not appear uncomfortable or egg bound. I don't need to have them all laying and would keep her as a pet, but curious as to whether I can fix this for her. Any advice welcomed. Thank you.

First off, that nice looking hen.
big_smile.png
. I think her system is just rebooting and she should start laying again soon.

check out this link below for some help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1133004/hen-stopped-laying

Last edited:
She is pretty, isn't she? My grandson named her Jennifer Tarkington Pottery Smock (aka Jen). Quite a mouthful for a small hen. Thank you for the comment. It has been about two weeks so far, so will be patient.

Either she is taking a break or she is hiding her eggs.
Does she free-range during the day? If so, I would start looking for a nest somewhere in the yard, like under some sheltered area.
You would be surprised how tight a spot they can get in.
Last summer my hens all decided to start laying under a tight spot under our deck. Blocked it off and locked them up for a week and cured that problem.
If that is what is happening, you will need to lock her up in the run for a week or so to get her back to laying in the nest boxes.

She is pretty, isn't she? My grandson named her Jennifer Tarkington Pottery Smock (aka Jen). Quite a mouthful for a small hen. Thank you for the comment. It has been about two weeks so far, so will be patient.
Hee hee......it's hard to settle on just one name! She is gorgeous.
How old is your grandson......and is that name(s) a reference to something in particular?

She looks like she could be a real Ameraucana, but can't see her legs well enough.
Ameraucana and EE's(Easter Eggers, frequenlty marketed as Ameraucana) are often inconsistent layers.

FYI...a female chicken is called a 'pullet' until one year of age, then she's called a hen.

Either she is taking a break or she is hiding her eggs.
Does she free-range during the day? If so, I would start looking for a nest somewhere in the yard, like under some sheltered area.
You would be surprised how tight a spot they can get in.
Last summer my hens all decided to start laying under a tight spot under our deck. Blocked it off and locked them up for a week and cured that problem.
If that is what is happening, you will need to lock her up in the run for a week or so to get her back to laying in the nest boxes.
Agrees^^^

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

She does free range but I have scoured the yard and can't see her eggs. As I said, she was noisy before and now I don't hear her carrying on, or see her on the nest. She is a mystery.
Maybe she is taking a break. The last place they lay is in the coop. every day is an egg hunt :) Thank you for responding :)

Hey there Aart :) My grandson is six. I think the name comes from a book he was reading. On the day I asked him to name one of the chickens, he responded with no hesitation and looked at me as if I should know, and there was no alternative. She is about nine months old now, so you are right, she does qualify as a pullet. I will take a photo of her legs and post it. I'm sure she won't mind being a pin-up. I wouldn't like to confine her to the coop as this little flock does everything together. For whatever reason I think she is just not laying right now. Her eggs were tiny anyway, so perhaps she's just not going to be a big performer. My ISO red lays the most ridiculously massive eggs, so she more than makes up for her. Will post back here if she does start up again. Thank you for responding.

If stopped laying and you pick her up and can feel eggs I put mine in warm bath and violated them bc egg bound so inserted ky into so if they could pass eggs they would. Both did good.but awkward to do

Back
Top Bottom