1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet survived attack today... just let her rest?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just sayin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

Poor little peeper Alice got attacked today... I didn't actually see the culprit, but assume it was a bird of prey of some kind. I heard a commotion outside, with the rooster squawking like crazy and our dog Foster racing down there, and when I got outside, she was limping up from a corner of the yard, with Foster's nose in her fanny, very concerned. She seemed shakey and drunk-like... and she was panting.

I can only assume that Foster saved her and the hawk flew off. There's a lot of feathers down there, and she's obviously sore/limping, but she is able to walk and stand, and I can't find any blood or wound on her. She's in the small coop, and I closed her in there alone, so she can rest. She isn't on the floor, I set her up on the shelf to look her over, and she seemed comfortable up there. I put some hay/nesting material in there, and she chose to move to that, rather than the roost. If I bother her, she's plenty alert and reactive, I don't want to miss something I could do... but I kindof hate to keep bothering her. I *think* she'll be OK, but I'm curious what, if anything I should do, other than let her rest.

*fret*

Here she is standing when I was looking her over... she's got one leg held up against her body and she tries to shield that side from me. She can put it down and walk on it... but I think it hurts. I've inspected both sides, and lifted her wings and felt all over, there's no external injury to see anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Here's the hero dog. :) Hesagoodboy!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by