1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet swallowed a peach pit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kharmon320, Oct 4, 2016.

1. kharmon320

kharmon320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    On Sunday I fed the six girls peaches. They devoured all three and left all three pits (which I picked up and discarded). Last night I again fed them 2 peaches. One of the pullets grabbed the peach pit and swallowed it. This is the same pullet that I had to nurse through an impacted crop LAST week. I think she ate hay or longer grass while free ranging.

Perhaps she's just not a very bright chicken and eats things that she shouldn't eat.

Any chance she will be able to pass the peach pit? It seems like it would get stuck either in the crop or the gizzard.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If it makes it past the crop and proventriculus and she has appropriately sized grit in the gizzard, she should be OK.
    The gizzard should grind it up with the aid of #3 grit or similar sized sharp stones.

3. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the reply. I guess it's a waiting game.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Nothing else to do unless you're up to surgery on the crop.

5. quackersandfern

quackersandfern New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    West Palm Beach, FL
    There is also the possibility of cyanide poisoning..

6. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    Just wanted to update that she's had no ill effect that I can tell. Her crop felt normal and she's been acting fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by