Pullet Throwing Up Blood/Can't walk??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleRedCoop, Nov 12, 2011.

1. LittleRedCoop

LittleRedCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    One of my friends just emailed me asking about her sick pullet. I have no idea what to do, I'm new to chickens myself. Here's her story:
    On Thursday morning my friend went outside to open the chickies door. After it was open they all came running out like they normally do, and she opened the side of the coop to do their food and water. She noticed one pullet was stuck under the small roosting bar. The chicken literally managed to wedge her neck as far under as it could go. My friend eventually got her unstuck. But, when they set the pullet down, she collapsed. She couldn't get up, so they moved her to one of the nesting boxes that we filled with hay. Then they closed the door to the coop so the other chicks couldnt bother her. They checked on her frequently throughout the day, and tried to give her some water, but she wouldn't drink it. That night, they decided to bring her inside, so the other chicks could sleep in their coop, and so the injured gal would be more comfortable. They filled a cardboard box with hay, and she rested in that all day Friday. Then, today, they decided it would be better to lay a blanket down with a towel over it, so she could stretch out her legs. She seems like she is a lot more comfy, and she is finally eating and drinking regularly. But...we don't know what the heck is wrong with her, or even what happened! As far as her injuries, they think there is something wrong with one of her legs, because when they move her, and set her back down, if she puts any pressure on her leg, she will start squirming and kicking until they finally settle her down onto her side. However, when she finally is calm and on her side, and they touch her legs, she doesn't care! They were even bending them up to her body like she would do when she roosts, and it didn't bother her at all. But there are even bigger problems...today she threw up, and it was bloody. Also, she is constantly opening and closing her mouth (like, literally every second....open, close, open, close). What is wrong with this little girl? My friend already lost three girls to a freak accident involving a dog. I'd hate to see her go through another loss. We are both very passionate about our chickens and want to do whatever we can to save them. Please help us!! This bird deserves a second chance: she's already made it four days. She's a fighter.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Could it be gape worm?

3. LittleRedCoop

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:If so, it would be completely unrelated to the accident, right? I don't see how being stuck under the roost would cause such drastic injuries...what is the cure for gape worm?

4. aoxa

Quote:If so, it would be completely unrelated to the accident, right? I don't see how being stuck under the roost would cause such drastic injuries...what is the cure for gape worm?

I would look it up. I'm not completely sure. Just the opening and closing of the mouth sounds like gaping to me..

She could have cancer.. I really am not sure. If she can afford it, I would take her to the vet.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My first thought on throwing up blood is ILT; hope that is not it as it is a reportable disease in many states.

6. aoxa

Quote:Mild Form “ILT”
    Conjunctivitis
    Swollen sinuses
    Nasal discharge
    Production loss / layers
    Production loss / broilers

Severe Form “ILT”
    Severe coughing
    Bloody exudate
    Neck extended
    Labored breathing
    Mortality high - can reach 50 - 70%, usually 10 - 20 %
    Persists for 2 - 6 weeks unlike other respiratory diseases

7. LittleRedCoop

Apr 13, 2011
    So all of you agree that the vomiting/gasping is unrelated to her run-in with the roost? I suggested to my friend that she contact a vet asap. Thank you all for your help!! Any idea what might be going on with her leg?

8. aoxa

I think it's unrelated.. Maybe she was never injured, and was just trying to hide..

9. LittleRedCoop

Apr 13, 2011
    That's very true...I hope she calls the vet soon!

10. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    I'd get her to a vet if one can afford it and wants to try to save her. She may have injured herself in the process of trying to get unstuck from under the bar. You mention it was her head and neck that was stuck. She may have caused some soft tissue damage that is pinching on a nerve, which may be the leg problem. If she has severe enough internal bruising, she may have small hemorrhages going on in the crop area, thus the bloody puke. The breathing may be due to swelling as well. Picture having all that neck bruising going on with resultant pain and I'd be willing you would pant a bit as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by