Pullet unstable, falling off the roost

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ib2150, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ib2150

ib2150 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Hello, maybe somebody can help me understand the reason behind my problem. My 7 month Easter Egger is having a hard time getting and repositioning herself on the roost. I noticed her right leg seemed more unstable than the left during the day. When I went to check on her this evening as she was getting on the roost, she had difficulty jumping and not sliding off of it. As soon as she tries to turn around, her right foot slips off and she can't seem to control it well. I have five chickens and only one with this issue. I also noticed the other four picking on her as evidenced by her while feathers all over the coop and run. After a few failed attempts of getting on the roost, she gave up and moved into the nesting box (positioned much lower than the roost). I know chickens are not supposed to sit there overnight, but I feel so bad for her, I don't want to cause more stress. I am so lost, what should I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have broken the leg, suffered a severe strain, or it could be paralyzed for some reason. How high are your roosts? Check the bottom of her foot pad for evidence of bumblefoot (redness, swelling, black spot on pad.) Look at her joints on the affected leg for swelling, redness, or displacement. I would place her in a cage inside the coop or run with food and water. B Complex tablets dissolved in her water each day may help. Keep her there for a week, and re-evaluate her leg. If any paralysis in the leg is noted or trying to balance herself with her wings, let us know.

3. ib2150

ib2150 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Thank you Eggcessive for your quick reply. The roost is barely 3 feet high. We first noticed a problem when we transferred her from the old roost in the run to the new roost inside the coop. It was late in the evening when the birds fell asleep. We picked her up and gently placed her on the new roost and she could not hold in like the other birds. She was so unstable she fell. It was almost like her feet were asleep. She seemed okay during the day, but then again had issues holding onto the roost the next night.

I checked for bumblefoot and swelling/redness but found nothing. I gave her a warm bath and took her inside for the night (guest bathroom) since I don't have a cage. Not sure if it makes sense to keep her inside during the day or let her go into the run with other birds (no way to separate within). I'll get the vitamins per your suggestion and try to take a video when the problem emerges again. Thank you so much for your help!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She would probably feel more comfortable in the run with the others, but be sure that they are not pecking her. I'm really worried that she could be showing symptoms of Mareks disease. Some leg injuries can cause nerve damage. Here are a few links to read about Mareks just to learn about what to look for, and I really hope that it is just an injury.
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by