Pullet vs ADOR1

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by massiveme, Aug 2, 2015.

1. massiveme

massiveme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    Any recommendations? Im in the Pacific Northwest and am worried the door wont open early enough or close too early. Any have experience with this?

Ate there any doors that you can set to a timer?

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
  3. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I think either one would work (and a few others out there).

I have the Ador1 and am also in the PNW. Its light sensor is very sensitive, it does not close until it is REALLY dusk.
    I programed it to add the 'Last Call' option (both the Pullet door and the Ador1 have this option).

My chickens are well on their roosts before the door closes. My door is installed inside the run area, as it is secure. I wondered if I would need to use the additional light sensor in this location, but the one on the door itself is plenty sensitive.

I chose the Ador1 because my location would have made a swinging door awkward (I won't admit to being clumsy, but I could see myself dashing around the corner right into it. [​IMG] ).

Here is a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

It works SO well, and what peace of mind! Whichever one you chose, you'll love it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  4. massiveme

Jun 28, 2015
    Your coop is beautiful! Our door opening is inside the run as well. Theres and apple tree growing in it and shading the door. Theres also bushes covering the keft sode of the run. Do you think there will be enough light at dawn for the door to open?

5. lynnehd

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Thank you!

My guess is 'yes', it should still work, unless it is very deep shade. And in the winter, at least the tree won't have leaves on it.
    Perhaps if you posted a picture of the opening during midday, showing the amount of shade?
    You can also email the Ador1 company-they responded back to me answering one of my questions.

Check out their web site, they address amount of light, installing inside a coop (see links below), even and in that case, whether you need to add the external light sensor.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0156/4516/products/photo_9_1024x1024.jpg?102

http://adorstore.com/products/ador1-auto-chick-door-remote-light-sensor

But again, I would bet you won't need it!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    After examining the PulletShut I still went and bought an Ador. The dealbreaker for me (at the time) was the requirement to continuously reprogram the open/close times on the PulletShut as the seasons progressed. Although now they offer an externally wired light sensor. The Ador was a much more self-contained and functional unit with some flexibility options and access to internal controls. Its drawback is that it has no built-in timer functionality in case you want to open/close at particular times. Easy enough to figure out your own solution for this but you'd have to do it yourself. There's one solution on the Ador website to accomplish this but again you have to fashion it yourself.
    Anyway, back to your question, I also live in the PNW in Canby half way between Portland and Salem and the Ador has worked quite well. Keep in mind the unit reacts not to visible light but to infra-red. A dark, cloudy day will not fool it. It also has options to react to lower or higher light levels. In the first case it would open sooner and close later. In the other case it would open later and close sooner. To do this you use its "programming" options which are a pain to deal with but should only have to be done once.

7. massiveme

Jun 28, 2015
    Thanks everyone! Heres a pic of my coop. Its really shaded. The door thats propped up usually isnt open now. Thats where I want to put the door. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    My Ador1 has worked flawlessly for the last couple months without any programming. Last month was the rainiest, cloudiest, stormiest month ever, and the door stayed open all day. The chickens are always in about a half hour before it closes.

Just put a battery in it, and attach to frame, nothing else necessary.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. lynnehd

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I'm thinking it should be fine. If possible, cut back some vines/greenery just above and around it, but even if you can't, your shading does not look much different than a very cloudy day.
    As I say, mine waits until the deepest dusk to close, nearly before it turns officially dark (if that makes sense).
    Mine is inside the run, as mentioned, and next to a hedge and greenhouse, with a seasonal shade cloth over the run above it, so a fair amount of direct sun is blocked.
    Also, the pic I linked from their site shows it installed inside a coop, with light from windows. Surely yours would get more light than that!

And because I have only tested one Ador1 door, I'm certainly no expert. You might email that pic to the company, they were good about answering me.

BTW, I do like the fact that the battery for the Ador installs inside the mechanical box right on the door.

10. sisterchicken

sisterchicken Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    I, too, am looking at the Pullet and Ador doors. Many of the posts are from Pacific North Westerners. Does anyone have experience with these doors in more extreme weather? We get single digit temperatures in the winter and I don't want to have issues with the door malfunctioning. Also there is occasional freezing rain.

I am getting ready to build the coop. Does anyone have dimensions for the the rough opening of the doors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by