pullet w/ poopy butt

livingcolor

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
NW Arkansas Ozarks
Howdy from NW Arkansas. My 11 month old buff orpington has developed a poopy butt that is pretty matted and has other chickens feathers stuck in it. (Yuck) I thought maybe she was just going through a bit of runny poo as the weeds are beginning to green up in their run. The other 5 girls are as clean as a fluffy butt should be. She is laying regularly (her eggs are a different color from the rest). Is this something I should worry about or am I being a panicky chickie mom? Thanks!

Have you tried cleaning it off? That might help, then if it should paste up again you can check her diet and see what's causing it. I would definitely clean it off though before she develops problems!
hmm.png

I have been searching the internet on this one, too. One of our White Leghorns, who used to be SO particularly clean, has this same thing now happening -- just as she started laying again. It is not runny but just does not clear to the ground.... I am reading up on "pasted vent" information, now............

So, after reading that article, we just gathered her up and held her rear feathers and anything stuck under a steady stream of warmish water. It all dissolved away and the wet feathers that I thought I might have to trim (per another member's post), the next day were all in their old positions and looked great! She has remained fine since then. Next time, the answer is to take care of it as soon as it happens and not wait. Best of luck to all!

Back
Top Bottom