Pullet wiping off face

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barredrockgrl, May 21, 2010.

1. barredrockgrl

barredrockgrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    My little Buff Orp pullet, Lizzy, has developed a strange habit. She is the friendliest of the bunch and the first to run over for treat time in the evenings. What she'll usually do is grab the fruit (mostly grapes) and get chased around the run by the other 11 week olds. After she slurps it down she'll then wipe her beak back and forth on the blades of grass. I assumed it was because she didn't like the sticky juice on her face.
    Today I brought them crickets. I knew she would enjoy them the most since she has been a bug catcher extraordinaire since the first day we brought her home. She grabbed as many as she could, and when she was done, you guessed it, she wiped off her face. I only find it odd because she's the only one that does this. Do any of you have hens that wipe off their beaks after eating?

2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I don't have very many chickens just 8 but that being said all of my chickens wipe off their beaks after eating

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I only have five, and yes, they'll all wipe their beaks off after eating...lol. Your others will eventually too. It may not be after EVERY snack, but they will do it. [​IMG]

4. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    ALL my chickens wipe their beaks... it is the polite thing to do afterall [​IMG]

They usually wipe their beaks on me when I go out there to visit.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

All the chickens wipe their beaks at some time or another.

Just watch out for roosters wiping beaks back and forth obsessively, to sharpen 'em. (Just kidding.)

6. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    They all wipe their beaks. Nothing to worry about.

UGCM

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All my hens wipe their beaks after eating, especially if it's something that sticks to their beaks.
    I bring my roo in the house every evening to treat his foot ailment. After we're done with the doctoring he gets a handful of cat food as his reward for being a such a good boy. After he finishes the cat food I hold out my wrist for him and yep, he wipes his beak across it every time. [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My hens use lemon scented moist towelettes.

Imp- warmed of course. [​IMG]

9. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    After a lovely snack of kiwi, mine like to wipe their beaks on my jeans. It truly is the polite thing to do for any well raised chicken [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    manner, manners my chickens have them - sometimes better than my two boys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by