Pullet with a cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyPlace, Nov 23, 2011.

1. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    This morning when I went out to feed, water and spend time with my birds, I noticed that my favorite little girl is sneezing and has a runny nose. She isn't constantly sneezing, the discharge is clear and she seems fine otherwise. She was (seemingly) fine last night when I checked on everyone for bed.

The only other problem I've noticed with any of the chickens is an occasional bit of runny stool, but it's usually days that they've drank a lot of water, so I don't chalk that up to much. This is the first time I've seen any of them with a runny nose and they are just over 3 months old. They all seem to be perfectly happy and healthy birds with no other signs of illnesses or defects.

Is there anything that I can or should do for her and/or the other birds?

2. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    funny thing...i think my pullet has a cold too. She is coughing and sneezing, and has a hoarse voice. no runny nose though. Someone said chickens can't get colds but i am not quite sure. Someone we know who had chickens said maybe she had something caught in her throat. My pullet is acting fine too, and looks good. maybe we can both figure whats wrong with our hens [​IMG]

3. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    It could be upper respiratory infection that's what my chick(with same symptoms) has I'm treating her with oxytetracycline and sugar in her water.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    I don't know what it was/is... I spent almost 4 hours out this afternoon cleaning their pen and coop and playing with them. I didn't see or hear any sneezing or runny noses and definitely no coughing. Even my favorite girl who had the sniffs this morning seemed fine. ??? I guess I just have to keep an eye on them...?

Littlecreekfarm: I hope you find out what's wrong with your bird... Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Easter eggers: Is oxytetracycline something from the vet? Do you boil the sugar or just mix it in? The sugar is really just a pick-me-up, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by