1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet with a dirty/swollen vent, with picture.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zinniah, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    Yet another issue has appeared for my poor chicken. There was another egg today, so I started checking vents to see who else had started laying. Thats when i saw her vent, could this be from laying an egg for the first time? She was very sick about 10 days ago, she may have had bronchitis. I treated her with Duramycin 10. Could the mess be from that? She is still sneezing sometimes. Should I start treatment again? Her vent looks like its coming out a bit, though you cant see it in this picture ..I thought maybe i should gently wipe it with a warm rag, and some peroxide?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    You may want someone to verify this, but I think she has vent gleet. I just dealt with this nasty a few weeks ago. I had 2 pullets who had it and both recovered in about a week. Vent gleet is basically a yeast infection, so you want to give your hen some good probiotics. I used keifer, which is like yogurt but with even more health benefits. I gave them a cup 2 or 3 times a day, and they perked up right away and were perfectly healthy within a week. You could add some ACV to their water too.

3. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas

I think you're right! I did some research on vent gleet and I have Bragg ACV, im going to go give her 1.5 tablespoons to 2 cup water daily for a few days, i read that works well! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by