1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet with a funky wing.... Hmmm...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WallTenters, Jun 8, 2011.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Not sure if the photos will help, it's hard to see, but very noticeable when you feel her. Instead of going out normally, her wing bends down at the elbow drastically, so it's almost pointed straight at the ground. Her right wing is severe, her left wing is the same way but much less so. She was hatched April 18th.

I noticed it when I picked her up and pulled her wing out to check her feathers. We thought that wing was broken but then noticed the other is the same way, but not as severe.

When she has her wings folded against her body, the wings are not held evenly and just look kind of funky. She was in a group of over fifty chicks, so since it hasn't been affecting her movement at all, we never noticed it before...

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before? I can post pictures if my written description isn't enough to explain, but the photos are hard to tell...

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    bump

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I would say pictures always help- especially if you can hold the wings out for comparison's sake. It doesn't seem like it'd be a hatching problem since no one else from the hatch has the same problem. Think she got stepped on?

4. lucky10

lucky10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    It might just be bent from being stepped on. Does it seem to bother her?

5. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    No it does not bother her at all, and I really don't think it's been stepped on - how would you explain both wings being that way, one more severe than the other? Also, I doubt another chick would have stepped on her hard enough to do this, their brooder area is much larger than it needs to be.

Will get the photos off the camera today, will take some of another bird for comparison, they might help some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by