Pullet with a swollen face on one side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1littlefarmer, Jun 25, 2010.

1. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm not sure how long she's had it (I don't think it would have been very long or I would have noticed it) but I have a 5 month old pullet who's face has swelled on one side. My wife and I just noticed it this morning.

Any thoughts? She's a flighty little thing and I wouldn't rule out that she flew into a fence or a wall and hurt herself...

Bad Side:
    [​IMG]

Good Side:
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Does it smell? It could be coryza.

Any sneezing or boogers? Head shaking?

3. 1littlefarmer

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Nope, no smell, sneezing or discharge that I could see. I looked up coryza and it doesn't seem to fit...

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Well, I would isolate her & keep an eye on her (no pun intended) for 2 weeks.

If anyone starts shaking their heads or getting boogery, and treat immediately.

I am just finishing up a horrible outbreak of something nasty and having just lost a bunch of birds, I would suggest you treat everyone ---just in case---if possible. Or you can go the hard-core route and cull any chooks who present symptoms. To be honest: I wish I had culled then treated. I think I would have lost less birds that way.

5. Chebidiah Chickens

Chebidiah Chickens New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Blackstone Valley
    Quote:

6. Chebidiah Chickens

May 18, 2010
    Blackstone Valley
    Hi I was wondering how your pullet is doing, I have a pullet the same age whose has the same swollen face as yours w/no other symtoms of anything else. Please let me know. thanks
    Quote:

7. 1littlefarmer

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    She's fine now. I isolated her for a few days and the swelling went away. As it was only on the one side I think she may have been stung by a bee. I have a couple of hives that aren't too far away from the chickens.

Good luck with your pullet!

8. Chebidiah Chickens

May 18, 2010
    Blackstone Valley
    Thanks for the imput, I will do the same.
    Quote:

9. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have had roo's with swollen faces from "interacting" with another roo, i always goes away in a day or 2. I am surprised my BR hen doesn't have a swollen face cause she is crazy and very large!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by