Pullet with broken jaw?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by orumpoultry, Mar 31, 2015.

1. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I have never seen this before. Went out to feed the growers and noticed I had one in a corner. Picked her up, and it appeared she had broken her neck and jaw. None of the other birds are showing any symptoms of distress. I don't know what she could have done, or how she could have done it, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this before?

Her tongue was black and blue, her jaw SEEMED dislocated. she had a large amount of swelling beneath her bottom beak. Her air way seemed blocked, so, we put her out of her misery.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. orumpoultry

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    No one? Hate to be ' that ' guy, but, I'm hoping someone can confirm my suspicions.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Yikes. I am very sorry to hear of your troubles. :(

I'm unsure, but it could be an injury from a struggle with a predator during the night. I know that there are beasties in the night that eat chicken heads and necks.

I've never seen anything like this before, but I suspect an injury.

Again, I'm sorry this happened. I hope it is the only loss.

MrsB

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Could she have gotten her beak (face or head) caught in something?

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    My guess would be raccoon reaching in to grab the bird by the neck and didn't get a grip to pop the head off. Did a number on her though.

Sorry for that.

6. orumpoultry

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX

My best guess is she got hung in the new feeder or something. They're in a building with hardware cloth dividing them from the rest of the building. The door stays shut, so I'm doubting predator interference. It's the first time I've seen anything like this. My only other guess is she somehow got her beak stuck in the wire and struggled.

Either way the poor girl wasnt like this when I left for work that morning, but was when I came home for lunch. Hmm. Guess I'll never know but it was worth a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by