1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet with broken toe. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Devw, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Devw

Devw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Johnstown, Colorado
    Tonight, I found one of my blue laced red Wyandotte pullets had some black toes (one on each foot, middle toe). Upon further inspection one of them is almost completely severed (and began bleeding when I moved it to check), and I am not sure if the other one is as well at this point (It doesn't seem as severe, but didn't want to mess with it and cause more problems.)
    I am pretty sure that the more severely injured toe was caused by a string that was too tight. The other toe, which has always been yellow has a dark tip.

I know the more severely injured toe will need to be amputated, but I am not sure how to go about it. The other toe I am not sure if there is actually anything wrong with it, but still am concerned at the sudden color change.

Here are some pictures of her toes;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she will most likely lose both toenails. Could she have gotten her toes crushed or caught in a fence? My hen would always jump over a 4 foot chain link fence, and partially ripped her toenail off. It was extremely painful for a week or two, and the toenail never grew back. Spray her toes with Vetericyn or betadine. They will be painful for awhile. I would place her in a crate inside the coop among the other birds with soft bedding, and food and water. When she seems more comfortable walking, you could then let her out, but watch to see that she doesn't get bullied.

3. Devw

Devw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Johnstown, Colorado
    I think on the twisted toe, she had a string wrapped around it. My thinking is she got the string caught on something and tore her toe open. She isn't acting in pain, and has been walking fairly well from my observations over the week ( I didn't realize something was wrong until I did a weekly close examination of all my pullets today).

Should I remove the partially severed toe myself, or wait for it to fall off?

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    OUCH! I myself (squimish) wouldn't remove the twisted toe, is it possible straighten & tape? Definitely keep her comfy & prevent infection. Eggcessive has more experience therefore I would go with what is advised. Poor thing.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It will probably fall off itself. If you feel comfortable taking it off, that would be okay, but it may bleed and will be extremely painful. I would probably let it come off itself. If she can walk around on it, there is a chance that it might cause more pain and get infected, so keep some betadine on it. I did remove a toenail that was just hanging by a thin strip of skin. Use some blood stop powder or flour/corn starch to control bleeding if you remove it.

6. Devw

Devw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Johnstown, Colorado
    Thank you all for your advice. The pullet did end up loosing both toes :( but she's getting around fine, and is as active as ever. Thanks again!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thank you for the update, and good to know that she is getting around well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by