Pullet with Bubbly eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyladyrocks, Jul 31, 2014.

1. flyladyrocks

flyladyrocks Songster

May 1, 2014
    Indianapolis, IN
    Help !!I have my first sick pullet and could use your help input. She is a 10 weeks old Buff Orpington. When I went out this afternoon, she looked like she was squinting a lot, holding her eyes closed. I sat and watched her for awhile and her one eye is bubbly. I separated her from her best buddy (who is not happy) and now have her inside (I don't have any other place to quarantine!) I rinsed her eyes with some warm purified water. It seemed like their was a lot of goo around them that had attracted alot of dirt. It seemed to give her some relief, but then it started bubbling up again. I don't know if she is tired, or just her eyes are bothering her so she is constantly keeping them closed. She hasn't seemed to feel bad - she was free ranging, dust bathing, doing chicken things. But now I feel even apart from the eyes she may not feel good - she is snugglier than normal, but is it just that it was afternoon nap time? Cause now she is being rather fiesty and not happy at all with being inside. I do prefer a more natural approach when at all possible.

So what do you all think?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that she could have MG, since foamy sticky eyes can be a symptom. Does she have an eye or facial swelling, or nasal drainage? MG is a carrier disease, and can come back on her. Tylan 50 injections can be used to treat the symptoms, as well as oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, and Tylan powder. I would use saline to wash out the eye instead of water--also Neosporin ointment or Terramycin ointment can be applied to the eye. Here is a list of common diseases--MG, infectious bronchitis, ILT, and coryza are some ones to read about: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. flyladyrocks

flyladyrocks Songster

May 1, 2014
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am a new chicken mommy, so I had never even heard of MG, and reading about it scares me a little. She does not have any facial swelling or nasal drainage. I used water b/c I don't have saline - but I just remembered I have a saline mix for my netty pot - could that work? I can go out to buy some saline, but not til this evening. That list of diseases is rather overwhelming!

She just pooped and it is really runny - I mean liquid with a few firm parts in it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The nettie pot saline would work, I think, if it is just saline. Cleaning the outside with water is fine, and the ointment will be enough inside the eye. MG is very common in flocks, and there are mild strains ranging to very bad ones. Testing can be done to make sure of what she has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: