1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet with diarrhea, when to worry?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trish1974, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    Hi all. Wednesday I noticed my 6 month old golden comet had very watery diarrhea, and at one point it looked like there was a white foam in it. I kept an eye on her all day and she seemed fine (eating, drinking, very active) so I didn't think any more about it. Due to my work schedule yesterday I only got to observe them for an hour last evening before dark. I didn't notice anything unusual other than her crop didn't look as full as it usually does in the evening, but they didn't get out to free range because I wasn't home, so I thought maybe that was why. This morning when I let them out they all ran out to the pen, and the GC stopped and let out a gushing large amount of watery diarrhea. I checked the "poop chart" and it is most similar to a cross between clostridium perfringens and a hen not eating enough. I inspected it very well and did not see any worms. I alternate giving the girls oregano and supplemental silver to ward off anything infectious, so I don't see how it could be a virus or bacteria. Are there any worms that cannot be detected by eye? Yesterday she laid one of her famous gigantic double yolkers, so I don't think her diet is insufficient. (I think I feed my girls very well, and there is only 2 days out of the week they don't get to free range at all). Should I just ride it out and keep an eye on her or is there anything I should treat her for? I'm headed to the farm store in a bit so I can pick up meds or worm medicine if needed. Thanks

P.S. All the other pullets are fine.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I would just keep an eye out since she's acting and laying normal. Maybe provide electrolytes. But I definitely wouldn't treat for something I can't confirm.

3. EggSighted4Life

Oh, I would worry when see her acting sluggish or not normal. I tend to be not an over reactor, but it's always good to air on the side of caution. [​IMG]

4. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    Thank you Eggsighted4life. What would you recommend for an electrolyte supplement?

5. EggSighted4Life

You can buy it. I make my own. Recipe is: 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt, 2 tablespoons brown (or white) sugar, and 2 cups warm water. Stir until dissolved and give full strength.

They sell one called Sav-a-Chick which does includes B vitamins, but you don't seem to have a serious case yet. It will just help give her system a little boost. You can also feed yogurt for the probiotics to help the gut. Many do that or add raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with "mother" to the drinking water to do the same thing, but NOT during hot weather. And I always recommend fermented feed if you have the time, link is in my signature line. [​IMG]

6. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    Thanks so much! Her last poo was a little firmer, and she's still acting fine, but I think I'll add some probiotics to be on the safe side.

7. EggSighted4Life

The sav-a-chick might have the probiotics in it already as well as the acv does to.

Good looking out! things often show up in poo first. [​IMG]

8. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    I found an adult version of Sav-A-Chick. Ingredients looked good. Everyone is still doing well but I'll give this to them for a few days to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice!

[​IMG]

9. EggSighted4Life

Oh yah, kinda like rooster booster. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by