Pullet with grease/oil on her feathers...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by motherbear, Jan 22, 2009.

1. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    It seems my Delaware must have gone under the horse trailer and gotten grease on her back and one side - it seems to have really affected her ability to shed the rain, and I'm guessing stay warm cause she just can't fluff like the others. She keeps trying to preen it off, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. She doesn't act miserable or cold (it's been in the 60's here) and she chooses to come out of the coop into the rain in spite of it. Do I need to help her out? I've found threads on bathing them, and see that Dawn will help remove grease, but will this further hamper her ability to stay dry when she goes back out? Does anyone know of something safe I could "spot clean" her with?

[​IMG] Thanks for your help!!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    does she have it in her fluff or just on top. If it isnt in her fluff I think she can still stay warm. I know of nothing other than Dawn. Can you spot clean her with dawn? Sorry not too much help

3. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    Thanks Tiki.

It seems to be mostly on the outer feathers - but that is allowing the fluff (at least on the outside) to get wet which makes her look rather pathetic in the rain. It appears she may be preening some of it off - looks like less today than yesterday. Hope that doesn't make her sick. I may try to spot clean with dawn later today.

There was an natural/orange type product that I'd heard about that they were using on birds who were affected by oil spills. I'm trying to remember the name of it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by