Pullet with injured eye, foaming.

Rory the Chicken

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
I recently got three new pullets, one of which is a Maran. Today I noticed that one of her eyes had been "stretched" where there was a big gap in her eye socket. There was no bleeding just some inflamed skin around the eye. I checked back about half an hour later and it had some clear bubbles in the corner of her eye, where the gap was. I am pretty sure that an older chicken pecked her in the eye as it is only one eye and an infection would effect both eyes? I have isolated her in a pen close to the other chickens where she can see and interact with them but not touch them. Are there any ways of curing this eye injury or should I just wait for the injury to heal by itself
IMG_2161.jpeg

How long have you had her? Foam in an eye can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. It causes conjunctivitis or pinkeye, and sinus infection. She could have been pecked around the eye or have a feather stuck, but stress of moving could bring on symptoms of a respiratory disease. Do you have these new birds quarantined away from other birds? You can try to get testing from NPIP or the state vet for MG, take the birds back, or treat symptoms with an antibiotics, such as Tylosin. But nothing cures MG and it can make carriers of your flock.

thank you very much for your feedback, I will completely quarantine her away from the other chickens to stop any spreading.

this was an image from this morning. It has seemed to have got worse.
IMG_7200.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom