Pullet with injured eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joszefja, Sep 8, 2016.

1. joszefja

joszefja New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Hi everybody! One of my Leghorn pullets appears to have been pecked or otherwise injured her eye today. :( She seems otherwise well, eating and drinking and hard to catch. Any advice as to how to care for her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    I whould start using antibiotic eye drops to make sure she dosent get infected, the polysporin pinkeye treatment eye drops work awesome for eye injuries and you can buy them over the counter at a drugstore, I've done this myself with great results, drop two drops into affected eye 4 times a day for 7 days

4. joszefja

joszefja New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Thanks for your response. I haven't found a pharmacy that will sell polysporin drops without a prescription. I've got one more place to check, but would Neosporin be okay? She's pretty clearly going to lose the eye so I'm not too concerned about that, I just want to avoid systemic infection, keep her alive and as comfortable as possible. I'm keeping it clean with saline spray. I had her isolated but she seemed droopier without her flock and well other than the eye so she's back in genpop. Anything else I can try?

5. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Yes neosporin whould work great too, just make sure it's the one WITHOUT pain relief because it contains procaine in it and is a deadly toxin to all avian speacies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by