pullet with injured leg

Southern Bee Lady

Songster
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Upstate SC
I have a blue orpington pullet approx. 26 weeks old. She injured her leg a few days ago. She has not been able to put weight on it but does use it for balance. Her toes were in normal position until yesterday. The pics show how she is now. Her leg is sensitive to touch at the joint where the thigh and leg are connected. I can't feel a break or anything unusual there. She held the leg and foot straight out in front of her until she started curling the toes under her foot. Now she holds it in the position in the pics. Should I make a shoe to keep her toes straight? Is there any medication I should give her?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

20456_101_0539.jpg

20456_101_0537.jpg

20456_101_0536.jpg

Chickens are usually fairly resilient to minor injuries. If she is eating and drinking as normal, I would leave her for a few more days and see if everything goes back to normal. You could always take her to a vet, but in my experience, things like this usually fix themselves on their own.

I don't know about making a shoe. Maybe someone with a bit more experience could offer advice?

Hi Mary! Sorry about her foot. I don't have any experience or know how to deal with something like that. Sorry. Hopefully one of the other SC peeps can help! (is that one of the pullets in the pair/trio I was going to get from you? I'm still working on getting up there, even if its to get eggs!!
smile.png
)

Hey Mary, I had the same thing happen to a RIR pullet this spring. I chose to do nothing and watch her for awhIle. I wish now I had made her a shoe. She never got use of her foot again and later died. I don't know what caused the injury. If I straightened her foot she would stand on it but the first step she took would cause her foot to turn again. Anyway, in my experience it did not self correct and I wish I had tried some kind of shoe with her early on before the damage was permanent. Hope this helps.

Quote:
FarmerJohn, Sorry, I sold those about a week ago. Someone is coming to get the splash/black pair tomorrow.

I have combined my breeder groups in with the general population for winter (2 groups). I turn my automatic waters off and drain the system for the winter. It won't be long until I have to do that. Combining saves time watering in the winter.
They are not grouped up for 100% blues now. Also everyone is trying to molt or broody and sitting on empty nest.
barnie.gif

I could possibly group them for a combination of B/B/S eggs when they start laying good again.
In early spring, I will move them back to the breeder pens. I should have plenty of eggs available then.

Mary

Sorry to hear about your chickens foot. I was wondering if anybody has tried to de-worm their birds by using garlic juice in the water.

I would isolate her in a small cage so she can rest the foot and not do more injury to the muscles and/or ligaments. Feed her well and mix in some Dandelion root, niacin and selenium. It did the trick on one of my Marans hens that got her leg stuck in the tractor as we were moving it. It took 4 days but she was better and is back to normal.
Hopefully your girl is not injured too badly. But everyone's mileage will differ.

Back
Top Bottom