pullet with limp wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bgrantalasykes, Oct 19, 2013.

1. bgrantalasykes

bgrantalasykes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Hello i noticed my favourite pullet has a limp wing when i got home yesterday. Her mobility seems fine, she could roost last night. She is under 6 months. Her chicken boyfriend died 2 weeks ago within 20 minutes of noticing his illness we think from botulism... im terrified of finding her like him! She doesn't have an other symptoms, her poo is runny but thats it[​IMG][/IMG] for now. I have read other threads but there seems to be other symptoms perhaps im not looking for.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Can she flap the wing/move it, or is it paralyzed? She may just have sprained a muscle, or it could be something more serious like Marek's disease. I'd feel the wing for any breaks--see if she reacts in pain when you grab it. Watch her for any more symptoms; if she shows more signs of botulism (droopy wings can be a sign of botulism), then flush her with one of these two flushes to remove the toxin from her system:

Molasses flush:

4 tablespoons molasses per quart of water given for no more than 8 hours. You can let the bird drink it on its own (chickens like the taste of molasses), or you can give it by eyedropper.

Epsom Salt flush:

1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1/2 cup of water poured or squirted down the bird;s throat (they don't like the taste of Epsom salts, so they usually won't drink it on their own) given for 3 days or until healed.

4. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    She is moving her wing... although it seems to be inhibiting her a bit ... shell let me touch it, as far as i can tell no breaks but today shes getting upset with me for going near her wing. Shes low in pecking order and wont defend herself since her partner died and is very skiddish around other birds. How would i treat or aid a pulled muscle? Also if i did a flush would that harm her assuming she doesn't having botulism?Just feeling so helpless for her, thanks for your help!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  5. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Or perhaps i should isolate her from others until we find out in case it is mareks? Plus that may help her wing to heal?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I would isolate her from the other birds for about a week. After that period of time, re-evaluate her condition. However, isolation will probably not prevent the others from getting Marek's, as the Marek's Disease virus is everywhere in the environment. If she's been exposed, all have been exposed. Some are just more resistant than others.

Basically the only thing you can do in the case of a pulled muscle would be to let her rest. Chickens are remarkably good healers, so as long as she doesn't make herself worse by rampaging around, she should heal. If you think she's in pain, you can give her 1/2 tablet of aspirin dissolved in water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by